The original wooden building, which came with 5 acres of land, was donated by the Selangor Government. Various renovations and additions were made over the years, and the four-storey construction that we know today was officially opened by the Sultan of Selangor in 1968.
Built in 1904, following an impactful if fleeting visit to Malaya by Indian philosopher and religious leader, Swami Vivekananda (meaning "the bliss of spiritual discrimination"), who founded the Ramakrisha Mission back in Calcutta.
Sri Kandaswamy Temple
One of the most prominent Sri Lankan Tamil temples in KL. Given its ornate Sri Lankan architecture, it is a tourist attraction.
Holy Rosary Church
This pretty Gothic church was constructed by Father Francis Emile Terrien, a French missionary in charge of the Catholic Chinese community in Kuala Lumpur. The original church was completed in 1904. In 1950, the church was extended by Father Moses Koh.
Buddhist Maha Vihara
The Buddhist Maha Vihara was founded by the Sinhalese community based in Kuala Lumpur and the surrounding areas in 1894 to provide a place of worship in their Sri Lankan Theravada tradition.